Wednesday 9 February 2011

Hans Silvester



These photographs taken by Hans Silvester really capture the essence of tribal life; here focussing on people from Omo Valley. Their use of traditional body decoration is what identifies them as a tribe, alongside their flora and fauna assembled fashion. I love the way these photographs incorporate tradition, nature, pattern and beauty, all factors i want my final print to represent.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to travel to Kenya for a month, where we stayed at an orphanage, helping out with the children and helped renovate the building and a local school; treked up Mount Kenya, through the wild environment and through extreme weather conditions; visited the local safari and finally visited a local tribe. The Samburu Tribe still live by their traditional values. Their clothing was bright, simple and colourful, again factors I would like my print to have.


No comments:

Post a Comment